Preparing for Your Appointment
- Before making an appointment with our specialists, you must request a referral from your pet’s primary veterinarian. He or she may call us or send a brief note
NOTE: ***A referral is not necessary if seeing our urgent care service***
- Please ask your primary doctor to fax/email your pet’s records prior to the appointment and/or bring a copy of all pertinent information [e.g. records, radiographs, blood test results, etc].
What to Expect During Your Surgery Consultation?
- A licensed veterinary technician or senior veterinary assistant will first greet you and your furry
companion by curbside to ask some routine health questions and gather additional information.
- We will then take your pet inside for a thorough examination by our Board Certified Veterinary Surgeon.
- Our surgeon will then come to your car-side to discuss your pets’ plan for diagnostic and treatment
options, listen to any concerns you may have, ask additional pertinent questions, and discuss when to
book your pet’s surgery.
- It may be recommended that some patients have emergency surgery the same day of the appointment if
deemed necessary, but most of our patients will have surgery scheduled for a future date or possibly the
- You will receive a reminder call the day before your pet’s surgery to ensure your pet has properly fasted
prior to and to answer any further questions or concerns you may have before your pet’s surgery day.
How to reach us during regular business hours, after-hours and on weekends:
- Regular business hours: Call our main line at 704-672-5590 or send an email to the surgery service. Messages received after 5 pm will be returned the following day.
- After-hours (after 5 pm): Ask to speak with a doctor or assistant (urgent care available until 6 pm), leave a message, or send an email.
- Weekends: We currently do not offer weekend hours. Please direct your calls to your primary doctor or to one of the hospitals that we recommend for after-hours care:
Soft Tissue Surgery
- Abdominal surgery – exploratory laparotomy, gastro-intestinal surgery (foreign body, gastric dilatation and volvulus (GDV), etc.) splenectomy, cholecystectomy, portosystemic shunt attenuation, hernia repair,
various abdominal organ biopsies, abdominal mass removal, liver lobectomy
- Head/Neck/Upper airway surgery – total ear canal ablation (TECA), bulla osteotomy, parathyroidectomy, thyroidectomy, salivary mucocele (sialocele) removal, laryngeal tie-back, brachycephalic airway surgery
- Skin/Reconstructive surgery – mass removals, anal sacculectomy, mastectomy, wound care and wound flaps
- Thoracic surgery – lung biopsy, lung lobectomy, mediastinal mass removal, pericardiectomy, PDA ligation, PRAA transection.
- Laparoscopy/Thoracoscopy – (coming soon!))
- Cranial cruciate ligament repair with lateral suture or TPLO
- Patellar luxation correction
- Fusion of joints (arthrodesis)
- Femoral head and neck ostectomy (FHO)
- Closed and open hip reductions
- fracture repairs (open/closed reduction and stabilization with metal implants)
- Luxation repairs
Treatment options and procedures currently referred to other hospitals:
- CT/contrast or MRI
- Other specialty services such as oncology
If there is any question regarding a referral, please contact us to speak with a surgery team member to discuss and clarify.